Vissi d'arte

from lullaby to requiem

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Memoir # 6: Have you MET the Cinder-girl?

Hmm... what to say...

Mom ang booger left for Manila last Wednesday - they've arrived already - and, yes, Bailey is fine... I'm alone with my Dowager Grandmother who has a brand almost everyone, my aunt who's way too nice to her useless (not to mention creepy) ex-husband, my cousin Jill and her daughter Gia. Since mom and booger left, I've found myself doing more housework - not that I mind or anything (the least I can do for them letting me stay here is to work my fanny off cleaning dishes, doing laundry, packing stuff, etc). La Cenerentola ang drama ko ngayon! oh.. diba - non piu mesta... lalalala!

Today - all alone - I went to the city again. I've been planning to go back alone since before my mom left (she left me specific instructions to stay at home and not go anywhere alone - you gotta love your mom...), and today... I went... ALONE!

At first I thought I'd made a mistake because really, I'm a shy person, and I don't like talking to people I don't know - if I were to survive Manhattan, I would need to talk to people. As it turns out - I can...

My first stop was the subway on 42nd street (where the bus from Rockland dropped me). I got confused about the instructions on the vending machine - I was feeding it $20 but it said "$6 maximum change" and I was only getting the day trip - $7. So I asked the woman at the window for change... See... talking to people is good...

My next stop was Lincoln Center - so I got off on 66th st and walked a few feet to the Center. The usual square was there, with the fountain, and a small crowd gathering in front of a HUGE snow globe... Took pictures of everything - and then went inside The Metropolitan Opera House (fondly called The Met - not to be mistaken for the Metropolitan Museum of Art - also fondly called The Met)... WAAAA!!! I LOVE IT HERE!!! It has such an aura...

I walked with my mouth open (literally - my nose was clogged up coz it was kinda cold and windy outside), and took pictures of everything. I went into the Opera Store - MY GOD!!! Pictures of great singers (autographed and framed with the playbills) were everywhere ranging from the cheapest ($75) to the most expensive - an autographed photo of Enrico Caruso (the GREATEST tenor in History) at around $1,200+. No pictures of Callas though - but I did find her 1952 London Norma (which I have been looking for since forever - can't buy it though - no more money... /sob). There were pictures of Renata Scotto, Astrid Varnay, Shirley Verrett, Regina Resnik, Montserrat Caballe, Victoria delos Angeles - and that's only the women!

Anyway, I had to get out some time - so I headed to the ticket booth and got the cheapest tickets to Tosca on May 16th, with April Millo as Tosca. $26 for a seat on Balcony Box 13 - Seat 4... Oh well... And then I saw a sign - Metropolitan Opera Backstage Tours... WAAA!!! I WANT TO GO!!!

I asked the person who sold me the ticket - and he said that I should call a certain number. I did, and after wasting 4 quarters - I got my ticket. Lucky me - someone backed out of the tour, and so they gave me that ticket (for $12).

I LOVED THE TOUR!!! If I were to live here - I want to work at the Met!!! Kahit muchacha lang ni Renee Flemming carry na!!! Hahaha! Or starring in one opera (Cherubini's Medea, please...) - that could be good too! The tour lets people go into the goings on behind the huge velvet curtains. I actually got to see (AND TOUCH!) Tosca's gown! Worn by half-a-dozen Toscas already, but what the hey!? Our guide took us to one of the dressing rooms for the stars - it was sooooo small! I have no idea how Pavarotti would fit in it! I swear! It's as small as my room at home! hihihi! Our guide says it's a way of controlling the egos of the singers... I think that would work... But where would they put all the flowers I'll be receiving?? ^_^

I also saw a lot of sets - some being built, others being assembled for tonight's performance - Rigoletto. There was some debate over the remains of an angel with a sword - some of my tour-mates were insisting that it was for Parsifal (Richard Wagner; read: Reek-hart Vog-ner) - POSERS!!! As if I could mistake that angel!?!? It was for the final act of Tosca - the big, stone angel atop Castel Sant'Angelo.

One of the memorable parts of the tour was in the wardrobe - although we couldn't get into the room - we just peeked through the doors - they were doing dresses - probably for Rodelida - the posters had Renee Flemming in a purple dress - the dress I saw being made was purple - with ruffles... Anyway - it turns out that the Met produces everything you see on stage - wigs, costumes, make-up, all the props - sometimes even singers (some of the leads used to work in the Chorus). They keep everything too - which is why I was able to touch Tosca's older dresses - they were soooo heavy!

We also looked in on some rehearsals - Parsifal in particular - one was with the three leads - but only the baritone was singing. In another room, they had Parsifal doing some stuff with one of the musical directors. I was peeping the entire time through a window on the door - I could swear, the tenor winked at me when he saw I was peeping at his rehearsal. hihi! ^_^

Then we went into the actual theatre! OH MY GOD!!!! Velvet seats - personal enunciators which translate the opera for each patron! ANG TARAY!!! As we were being shown the orchestra pit, I looked behind and faced the empty auditorium... I could do this... I'm ready for my close-up! hihihi!

Throughout the tour, I kept asking the guide about certain aspects about the singers - NO, they do not wear microphones, they have to be able to project their voices throughout the house (although they say that the theatre has the best acoustics in the country); NO, there are no prompters for the libretto - they have to memorize what they're singing (even Wagner's made-up German); and Yes/No, some singers are bound by contract (which means they can't sing anywhere else throughout the seaon), but some are allowed to sing for charity events and stuff.

The tour went longer than its usual 1.5 hours, and it was worth it! I wish they would let people take pictures! On our way out there was a gallery of artists - they had thus life-sized portrait of Callas dressed in a gown (can't tell whether it was a costume or a gown - in those days, it was always hard to tell!) - she looked like she had just come off a performance - Poliuto if I'm guessing correctly. There were also photos of Joan Sutherland and Kirsten Flagstad (I think - the guide was sort of in a hurry by this point). Plus, they give you $5 discounts for the opera store - so I bought Callas' Carmen.

The day was fabulous! I got to go backstage the Met - and outside the opera house, David Blane (is that how you spell his name?) was doing one of his outrageous tricks - he had locked himself up in the huge snow globe filled with water. Half-naked... hot! Hihihi! I also went to China Town (just to get one of those I *heart NY bags), and to St. Patrick's Cathedral. I saw Constantine Maroulis walking outside Rockefellar Center, too! He's so tall! And cute! Hihihi! Maybe I should look for Kevin Covais too! I like him; he's adorable! Speaking of Chicken Little, Jill's Nemo car-antenna thingy got stolen, so Lola and I bought another one - Chiken Little this time. ^_^

*Sigh... That's all for now, really. I'm not looking forward to anything right now (meaning I don't have any plans for the next two weeks), except for that Tosca performance on the 16th - they say my seats are so high, I would need oxygen to get through the first act... Here's hoping my nose doesn't bleed - at least not during Vissi d'arte! ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home