Vissi d'arte

from lullaby to requiem

Monday, April 03, 2006

Anticipation

I remember reading a short story for our sophomore high school Lit class entitled Anticipation - I've forgotten the story, but I remember doing a short play about it - Boom played the Sultan (Sultan nga ba? Or prince? Whatever!), Abet was the bride-to-be, and several of us (I remember Darcy, Randy, Allan, and me) were dancers. We shook our respective 'groove thangs' to no less than Madonna's Shanti/Ashtangi, with matching choreo from Frozen. Anyway, Anticipation is supposed to be this story of how a King anticipates his wedding night, and how the bride anticipates it as well... I feel almost the same way.

My family and I are going to New York over the summer - we'll be leaving on Wednesday (April 5), my mom and my booger brother will be flying back to Manila sometime near the end of April, and I'll be staying there with my aunt and grandma until May 20. It's a pretty long stay, and I'm going to be (technically) alone for the first time in a foreign country.

I'm dreading it, but at the same time, I can't help but feel glad about it - I'm going back to New York for the first time in more than half a decade: I can finally ransack Tower Records for rare Callas recordings (I'm looking for Medea she performed in Dallas - aptly titled Callas in Dallas... *taas kilay... and her Rigoletto). We're supposed to be leaving the day after tomorrow, and I haven't packed - I looked at all my cold-weather clothes and had them washed, but I seriously need more jeans/pants and more shirts to match the three pairs of shoes that I'm planning on bringing. Mom wants me to take only one pair - HELLO!!! It's bad enough I can't wear sandals because of frostbite, and I can't take other shoes??? I plan on packing my bag myself - that way I could sneak kikay stuff in - plus my entire wardrobe.

I went shopping a while ago for last minute things - new slippers (I saw this immensely incredible comfortable pair of sandals, but they were almost 3,000Php - hello!? Kumusta naman?!), razors, bubble wrap, masking tape, and painkillers - I haven't had a migraine attack in a few weeks now, so it's only a matter of time until I get another one. I bought 5 Midols and 5 Advils? I think that should be enough for a month. What can I say? Every girl's got to be addicted to something! I remember taking 2 Advils before my thesis defense - I've never felt so light... haha!

To add to all this anxiety - our flight hasn't been confirmed. WAAA!!! We transferred from the really cheap Continental Airlines which has no less than three stop-overs, to more expensive Eva Air, which only has two stop-overs, now to the immensely expensive PAL. Haayyyy... the PAL's been booked, but our return itenerary hasn't been confirmed yet, and we don't know exactly how much it'll cost.

Anyway, in a few days I'll be bidding Manila adeiu, but only for a short time. I'll be back in time for next semester - and I'm actually looking forward to next semester, I'm handling 3 Comm3s, I think... Weee!!! ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home