Vissi d'arte

from lullaby to requiem

Friday, December 16, 2005

Fainting spells... *faint

Today was one of the busiest days I've had this semester. I had to go to Ateneo to get a letter requesting my undergrad transcript of records, organize (and finalize) our department Christmas party, go to an Echoes meeting (to be held at my house, which has unofficially become the Echoes headquarters, after McDonalds Mendiola), attend the Misa de Gallo at my old high school, prepare for my report in my Management and Communication course, and in between try to find time to pee, commute, bathe (several times - ANG INIT!!! Actually malamig, pero I've been running around so much, I keep getting sweaty!), accept movie reviews, reject late papers, breathe, and look for/at cute boys...

I managed to do the first task with little incident... almost! When I got down from the LRT (line 2, thank the gods for this line, it's made my commute to Ateneo soooooo much lighter), I found the trike line so loooong, and I mean really long!!! So I decided to get on a jeep and get down at the gate nearest Bellarmine Hall, which is where I would pick-up the letter chuva.

I got down from the jeep a few feet (try an entire avenue) from the gate nearest Bellarmine Hall. So I took a trike and decided to go to KFC to try to get the photcopies that I had bound for my other class. No luck - Copytrade was still closed... and they said they opened at 8! WAAA!!! I had to take another trike to get to Bellarmine. When I got there, the office was still closed, so I had to wait outside the room for a few minutes while the secretaries fixed their stuff.

After a few minutes, I finally got the letter, and took a trike to Ministop so I could walk to the LRT Station. On the way, it was slightly raining so I had my wonderful blue umbrella open, I ran into someone on whom I had a major crush in grade school. We had the same service going home and he was really nice. In high school, though, I was too pre-occupied with the boy-with-squeaky-voice-and-icky-viral-sties, so my major crush on same-service-home-boy had turned into a minor one. Anyway, he had his eyes on someone else, and many other people had their eyes on him - and by many, I mean half-a-dozen at the very least!

Anyway, as I said it was raining, and when I first recognized who he was I turned and tipped my trusty umbrella over my head ala Madama Butterfly/Memoirs of a Geisha so that he would not see my face. I was simply not prepared to face someone whom I regarded quite highly in high school. I thought, though, that I should at least try to talk to him, so a few minutes before my loyal umbrella bumped into his awefully cute little head, I turned my umbrella properly and called his attention.

I don't think he recognized me immediately, so I asked where he was heading. I vaguely remember asking him his course, and he said he was still in 5th yr. Engineering. I thought he was also going to the Ateneo, so I found it weird because I knew he was attending UP. I tried to ask more questions, and answer some of his:

Same-service-home-boy : San ka?

Madame Mikee (thrilled and kilig): Sa Ateneo.

Same-service-home-boy : (*thinks for a rather long time) MA?

Madama Butterfly (coy and shy): MA. Comm.

Same-service-home-boy : Ha?

Violetta Valery (as she falters while at a party): M.A. Communication

Same-service-home-boy : Ahh...

Violetta Valery (shaking and sick with consumption): Ikaw?

Same-service-home-boy : 5th year Engineering.

Violetta Valery (as she is dying with consumption): Ahh... O, sige, bye...

Same-service-home-boy: Bye... *that was weird...

Mikee (fainting on the wet, icky side-street): *bye....

Close curtains, open curtains for curtain call, Mikee's still lying on the street shaking horribly and heart beating furiously fast...

It's not a secret that I'm extremely prone to stage fright - reciting in class (even introducing myself to my classmates) sends shivers down my spine, and sets my heart off with a faster beat. I even get nervous before every single class - which is why I check the attendance first - it's a stalling tactic, by the time I'be finished looking for missing persons, I'm ok and I could stomach talking to people whom I don't know.

Seeing Same-service-home-boy after more than a few years while it's raining, my outfit isn't too special, and my guard is down is not a good thing for my heart. After talking to him for a few seconds, my heart started beating too fast, and I felt rather faint. My hands started shaking, and my legs started swaggering - thank the gods he was already out of view.

I fumbled with my enormous bag to get my LRT ticket out, walked aimlessly into the gate-thingies, almost could not get the ticket into the bloody slot because my hands were trembling, avoided a crowd going into one side of the terminal and walked to the opposite side - only to realize that that side would take me to Santolan instead of Pureza, started walking towards the right side of the terminal with Madame Mikee starting to come back now...

Gosh! I didn't even have that big a crush on Same-service-home-boy and that was how I reacted. Imagine if I had accidentally run into boy-with-squeaky-voice-and-icky-viral-sties. I think I would actually just fall over unconscious!

I don't know why I had reacted like this. Maybe because I was caught unawares, off-guard and almost vulnerable; maybe because it was raining; it could even have something to do with my being single (AGAIN!!!) for Christmas; I have no idea what caused me to react like this. The point is, I did.

Moral lesson: Always be prepared, constant vigilance! You never know who you'll bump into, and you should always be ready. Once, I saw pale-boy-who-liked-to-kick-my-armchair-in-the-6th-grade on my way home from Gateway on the same LRT track. He was completely adorable, I'd always had a secret crush on him that only Butch Guevarra knows (if he still remembers what I told him). Of course, then I was with another friend so I was fine, no shaking or trembling or beating or anything, just lots of self-conscious thoughts like is my face too oily? (of course it is!), am I standing straight? (pull your damn shoulders back! Lousy American posture), or I wonder how my hair looks? (wickedly tangled and curly,and perfectly un-movable).

Anyway, it's been weird running into Same-service-home-boy, and it's even weirder that my hands started trembling just talking to him... But anyway, back to reality. Tomorrow, I have a report to finish, a meeting to attend (I think), papers to accept, late papers to reject, another Christmas party to attend, a cute/icky-boy to stalk (thanks for the info Burn!! ^_^), and mp3s to download... Mabuhay ang piracy!!! ^_^ /kis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home