Vissi d'arte

from lullaby to requiem

Friday, January 13, 2006

Sliding Doors

Friday; January 13th, 2006...

An incredibly hectic day that starts in my usual manner: I get up, pull my hair into a loose (very, very loose) pony, put my glasses on, brush my teeth, and go upstairs to have breakfast... Our house is inverted, we have the dining room and kitchen and family room on our 3rd floor, the bedrooms on the 1st and second storeys. After reading the paper (nothing much, Angelina Jolie is pregnant with Brad Pitt's baby, there are two reviews of Narnia - I have yet to write mine), I zoom off to bathe and dress, gather my school things, have my lessons and exercises photocopied, have my Comm III class (easily my favorite this semester - for obvious reasons), have a consultation for Comm II (screw the photocopied exercises, we'll have those next meeting) and try to dismiss early because I have classes at the Ateneo at 5:30pm. Of course, I dismiss my class late because the consultations took too long - I'm too yappy, I know.

Instead of taking the Taft LRT to the other LRT station (which passes through Aurora Blvd), I took a jeep to Sta. Cruz/Recto because, basically, the LRT stinks - literally and figuratively. I go down the LRT Doroteo Jose station and walk a million miles to the Recto Station via a walkway, where I can practice my strutting.

Like any normal person, I want to sit when I get on a train, so I force myself through the crowd and manage to find a seat on the right side of the train, directly facing - oh my god... - someone who looked extremely adorable, even if he was wearing an FEU PE uniform (I have nothing against FEU, but they should seriously rethink their colours - green and yellow? Shruberry, anyone?). He looked perfectlty like this student that I like - soulful, puppy dog eyes, adorable messy hair, and a killer smile plus a bit of facial hair. Boom should know.

He sat right in front of me, and I just couldn't help but stare at him. At first, I was a little conscious about eyeing him directly, even if he didn't see me looking. He had his bag on his lap, and his arms were twisted in a weird sort of way - his thumbs were on his knees pointing inwards. When we got to the Legarda station, he started noticing me gawking at him. He would look at me, I would stare him in the eyes and he would shyly look away - actually, his eyes would sway and look at (probably) the window behind me. I would do the same.

Along the Legarda-Pureza way, I remember someone telling me that you had to stare a guy in the eyes for at least three seconds to make your presence known. So I did, or at least, I tried. I would look at him, will him to look at me, and he would - but only for a fraction of a second. A few times that happened, and either I looked away (still to coy) or he looked away (looking extremely shy).

Then, once, he looked at me while I was looking at him - I counted to three - and he was still looking... four, five, six... can't stand it... seven... I looked away downward and sideways and covered my lips (which could not help but shyly smile). I looked at him again, he was smiling, at least, the tiniest, most insignificant upward curve was on the side of his lips.

My mind started making excuses for why I was staring at him just in case he actually talks to me - he reminds me of a student (NO!!! Too obvious, and besides, I don't look old enough to be a teacher - at least, I think I don't); he reminds me of an ex (Still too obvious); he reminds me of a second cousin - and he does. His name is (also) Benedict, and I haven't seen him in ages.

Alas, just when he was starting to see immortals like me existed on this eartly plane, someone who annoyingly looks like Mickey Celles steps in on the train and stands directly in between us. Now all I can see are his ears... And he doesn't seem like he's trying very hard to get another look at me. So for two more stations, all I see are his elbows, shoes (black, rubber ones), and the messy back and sides of his hair. Then, at one station, the person sitting on my left got off and the seat beside me was temporarily vacant, so I moved left; the standing Mickey in front of us seems to be tired and walks off a bit, and for a full second, I look at him and he looks at me while I was thinking - 'Sit here!'

Alas, a woman with really icky sneakers sits at my right, and he's looking away again... plus annoying Mickey returns to block my view.

The train keeps moving and arrives at the Cubao station. He gets up, looks at me tentatively, and walks off the train. Sigh... I'll probably never see him again....

I get off after a couple more stations, and I get to school a few minutes before 5:30. Just reports today, so I didn't study (actually, I was planning to study during my break in Manila, but I got lazy and started checking papers instead). Then, my favorite phrase was uttered by our professor - get a 1/4 sheet of paper please... HANG ON!!! We aren't supposed to have quizzes in grad school!!! And what's worse, it's enumeration/identification - this is my Comm III style, but I really did not think it would be used in Grad School! WAAA!!! I got 4 out of 10... /sob

I'm really tired by now, and although the professor is one of the best I've had, I still felt quite tired... and after him would come three reporters! What a day this has turned out to be... and the second reporter - Angelo - seemed to be blabbing and blabbing up in front about economics and Financial/Investor Relations... at least he's completely adorable and nice to look at. He's your typical Atenista: good-looking, tall, well-built, accent with a slight lisp, and completely boy-toyish. Of course we've had about three or five words between us for the entire semester. He has a knack for disappearing immediately after classes. He did shake my hand when we met though - big for me because I don't like being touched by (or touching, for that matter) people I don't know. Haptics, for me, is a deeply personal non-verbal gesture.

Anyway, I've just gotten home, and I'm really tired now. I still have classes tomorrow at 9am, so I should go to bed now.

For people who've read my two previous posts and are wondering about my upcoming post about Shenzhen (read: sen-jen), it probably won't come. All you need to know is that I spent a ludicrous amount on cute pieces of jewelry that I probably won't be able to wear because I commute and I'm afraid of loosing things I've bought. The flight home was delayed, but the flight attendants were all sooooooo cute. Two out of the three were gay, but that didn't stop them from being bloody adorable. The other guy, the cutest of the three, was straight, but he kept checking himself up with the mirror in the front lavatory. There was also this cute Chinese guy sitting in front of me who kept popping his gum - so the entire flight (even when I fell asleep), I had LSS of Chicago's Cell Block Tango: "You pop that gum one more time... and he did. So I took the shotgun off the wall and I fired two warning shots... ...into his head... He had it coming, he had it coming, he only had himself to blame..." OK stop it now...

Well, that's all folks!! I'll keep you posted on more stuff soon... ^_^ NIGHTIE!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home