Vissi d'arte

from lullaby to requiem

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Memoir # 5: Wind, Rain, and Rollercoasters do not mix

Last Saturday my cousin Stacy's hubby, John, took us (Booger and me) to Six Flags Great Adventure - a theme park somewhere in New Jersey. The weather forecasts said that Saturday would turn out to be a stormy day, but I always ignored weather forecasts in Manila (coz they're always wrong!), so I ignored this one too. Actually, I didn't ignore it, I just prayed to the gods that it wouldn't rain - and I trusted them.

On Friday, Stacy picked us up and drove us to her house in the Bronx. We had dinner, and I found a book in their mini-library called Opera for Dummies. I was reading it the entire time I was there - up until we left the next morning for Great Adventure. (I ended up borrowing the book) It didn't rain all day on Friday so I was pretty confident that it wouldn't rain so much the next day - ha! Was I ever wrong.

I woke up and the window beside by brother's bed was foggy - I peered out and it was raining a little (I could see the rain in the puddles in the street). Anyway, it wasn't exactly pouring, so John, Benedict, and I decided to go. We got tickets online (sosyal! Mas mura pa sya compared to if we get tickets at the gate).

After driving for two hours in the rain, it started to clear up. I was a little worried coz I could see the wind from inside the car and it was pretty strong - I was only wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (without any undershirt). John lent me his raincoat, which was a horrid shade of yellow. Once I got out of the car, my hands started freezing, and I already felt light-headed. That didn't exactly stop me from going on the Superman ride first.

As it turns out, Great Adventure is basically a theme park packed with about 8 roller coasters, all of them designed to make you dizzy. Superman was unique because instead of being seated in coasters, you're lifted up, and you lie on your belly - just like Superman when he flies. The ride was great - except for that instant when I thought I was gonna die!!! I couldn't breathe, and I thought I had fallen from the ride - then I opened my eyes and the ground was spinning above me! WAAA!!!

The next ride was went on was much more enjoyable - The Great American Scream Machine. It's not really quite as scarry as it sounds - it's actually quite fun - with lots of drops and a couple of loops.

After that - John and I did the unthinkable. I'm not too fond of heights, in fact standing on the glass floors at Robinsons Cinema gives the the creeps. But the next ride we went on was the fastest, and the tallest roller coaster in the world... Kingda Ka. I have absolutely no idea what the name was supposed to mean, but it's more than 400 feet and it goes around 126 MILES per hour. Again, that lovely feeling that I should not be on this ride... The moment we were rocketed off, I lost my breath... I couldn't breathe, I couldn't feel my stomach, and my hands were so cold. I held my breath until the time the coaster went to the very tip of the ride - half-a-second before it plummets back to earth. I literally had no time to swear - I got to until HOLY SH - and then I couldn't breathe again! I LOVED IT!!! A roller coaster that takes your breath, lifts you to the heavens for (in!) 3 seconds, lets you savor the feeling for a fraction of a second, and then plummets you back to earth, and makes you swear: It's exactly like having a boyfriend! (not that I would know or anything...) Who knew I could love rollercoasters...?

Anyway, all other rides after Kingda Ka were like icing. John and I (and booger, who occasionally sat one out because he felt sick) went on one roller coaster after another - pausing only to see the Tiger show - two HUGE cuddly tigers... I want one!!! Hihihi!

After we had lunch, it started raining, and the wind started blowing much harder. I couldn't feel my hands - and I looked like fashion roadkill in that yellow raincoat! WAAAA!!! I felt like Mimi in La Boheme, except without a Rodolfo - Che gelida manina (how cold are your tiny hands). I have NEVER been so cold ever!

After Great Adventure, we met cousins Stacy and Jill for dinner (Jill was with some friends - Arthur and PJ), and then we went to the Bodies Museum: Real Human Bodies embalmed, cured, whatever - on display - with sections for each of the major body systems. EWWW!!! Although, you kind of get used to it after two or three dead body-models.

We left mom at home with grandma and tita Monina, and her ex-hubby (also known as: Stupid Idiot, ang daga, ingrate, sociopath/psychopath, palamunin) who still lives here, despite the divorce being final. It turns out that when Benedict and I were out, everyone at home (inlcuding baby Gia) was having a Great Adventure of their own!

Mommy and Booger are set to leave for Manila tomorrow - and I will be all alone in New York... well, technically, I'm alone. I might try to find teaching positions here, or just job opportunities - pagna-loca ako, magt-TNT ako dito! HAHAHA!!! I love it here, pero it does get boring, and hindi ako makalandi! Syempre... hate crimes - hahaha!

As for expenses - I am (very quickly) running out of cash. And they won't accept my atms here - waaa!!! I asked mommy for some more money, and she gave me extra naman - just enough for me to catch that opera at the Met - they're doing Tosca - o diba! Vissi d'arte na ito! Hihihi! As for the reason I don't have any more money - I blame Callas! No... I blame EMI for producing such expensive Cds! On the bright side though - I only have one more opera to get before I can rest my soul - Callas' Carmen. After that, I probably won't buy another recording... until I get back here. ^_^

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my alone time here in New York - although I have a lot of stuff to do. For one, I'm hepling (read: trying to help) my lola and tita and Jill and Gia move out to their new apartment - I never thought packing could be such manual labour! Hahaha! ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home